Skip to main content

Knoll.

Our home is still a mess and a chaos.

I’m still waiting for our sofa to arrive. It’s kind of a key piece in our living room, so I can’t put anything else in their places before I see where I want it to go. Magnus has been planning to build some book shelves himself, so that’s another important element I’m waiting for. Everything feels like a giant puzzle where you have to put the pieces in place in order: I can’t get the boxes away from our living room because the books in them need to go on shelves, but for Magnus to be able to build the shelves we should remove the old wall papers and paint the wall first. And for the sofa to fit in our living room, the boxes should be gone. So I guess the first thing I should do is go and decide the paint for the walls. The paint color didn’t feel important when we moved in; I thought I would have a lot of time to think about the color scheme. It always comes down to the little things…

In the past few weeks my time has been consumed by work and planning new Zumba classes and learning the choreographies, and the time I have left after that has been dedicated to knitting. Knitting is my “zen”, my meditation. It also helps me to concentrate and I used to knit in school during lectures.

The Knoll mittens are almost ready. I made some small alterations to the pattern: I thought the thumb was weirdly low, especially because my fingers are quite short. So I started the thumb gusset increases on row 6 (that is 4 rows later than instructed). After finishing the first mitten I noticed that I could have started the thumb even a bit later. I’ll have to remember that if I’m knitting these mittens again.

Also I noticed that the pattern shifts toward the thumb and thus looks a bit crooked. So I’m trying to fix that with the second mitten by moving the thumb gusset a bit toward the palm. I’ll see how that works and tell you what I did if it worked.

I’ve also been knitting the Stonecutter sweater. It’s actually not as hard as it looked first. The cables change only every 4th row so that leaves plenty of mechanical knit-purl in between. I often knit with quite light-weight yarn and small needles so it’s nice to knit something a bit bulkier (worsted weight is bulky for me and 5.0 mm needles are big).  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the