Skip to main content

February knits.

The past weeks have flown past too fast and it’s already March. I have been busy at work and at the same time had a flu, so after work I’ve been too tired to do anything much. I’m starting to feel better now and last week we had the opening of our new exhibition at the museum, so the work load is smaller. I still thought I should update what I’ve been doing, so that’s why I decided to post my February knits.

I finished some knitting projects and started new ones. I’m totally in LOVE with my new sweater, the Stone Cutter. It’s just about everything I want in a sweater: big and chunky and warm without making me look fat :), the color is a lovely shade of gray that goes with everything and it still has an intricate cable work that makes it feel special. I love the yarn as well, I used Garnstudio DROPS Lima, which is soft and doesn’t tickle. The sweater is something I can use at work, or a coffee date or just lounging around at home on a lazy Sunday.





I had been itching to knit the Stone cutter sweater ever since I first saw it on Ravelry. I actually thought it would be a harder project to knit, but as I’ve written here earlier, you only knit the cables every 4th row, so there is always 3 “rest rows” in between. It did take quite a lot of time, but it was definitely worth it. The sizing was a bit big, and I made the second smallest size for the body, but decided to do the sleeves in the smallest size, and it turned out perfect. I also changed some directions of the cables to make the pattern symmetrical.






Also I finished my Gloaming Mittens. I first started them in a bolder color scheme but took it apart and started again with softer colors because I liked the umbre effect it gave to the project.




In addition to that I finished my March Beret. If it wasn’t for the color of the yarn, I would probably toss it away. It was a disastrous project: it turned out way too big even though I had changed to smaller needles. I looked like the mushroom in Nintedo’s Mario games wearing it. So I decided to felt it, but had to wash it TWICE in 40 degrees C to make it small enough to fit my head properly. It’s now really thick and quite hard and sometimes feels like I’m wearing a plate on my head as it doesn’t want to adjust to my movements. I’m so disappointed. I can’t even take it apart anymore and use the yarn for something else because of the felting. I’m trying to stretch it out a bit to give it more elastic and movement, but if that doesn’t work I might have to throw it away. Such a shame! Especially as it took quite a lot of effort to knit as there’s a lot of bobbles and cable work. The color is wonderful, though, and that's the only thing I like about this project...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the