Skip to main content

.Luna And The Rest Of The Gang.


I’ve mentioned our cats quite a few times here, they have been visible in my photos and the blog is even named after one of them. So I thought it’s high time to introduce them to you. At the side of my blog, above my blog archive there are three photos of my cats and by clicking the photos you get to read more information about each one of them. They are all just regular domestic short-hairs, nothing fancy but I adore them over-the-top anyway.

I have always loved animals and wanted a pet for as long as I can remember. Long story short: I never had a pet as a child. My grandmother had cats and every time one of them had kittens I begged my parents to let me have one. I was never allowed. My dad hates cats. He used to say: “You can have as many cats you want when you live on your own, but there won’t be any cats in this house.”

I tried to change tactics and ask for a dog instead because I know my dad likes dogs but that didn’t work either. When I first moved away from home to study I lived in a student dorm where pets were not allowed. Then I moved to an apartment with a roommate and he was ok with me having a cat. A few months later my grandmother called and told me she has kittens. I told her that this time I willtake one of them.

Two months later my grandmother died. It was kind of out of the blue, unexpected. I thought I must take one of the kittens now as that would be the last time ever I could take one of my grandmother’s kittens, like I had wanted as long as I can remember. That’s how Otto came to my life. (At this point my parents had taken a dog. Something I was childishly bitter about for a long time: they took the dog a couple of months after I left home to study.)


Milla came a few years later because we felt Otto needed a friend: he was starting to get fat and lazy, and he was really codependent. And Luna, well, I wanted a dog, a French bulldog to be precise, and my husband had already consented to it. Then we just happened to go to the Cat House animal shelter here in Vasa, and met with their one hundred homeless cats. We started to feel it was unfair to buy a purebred dog whose birth was planned and calculated when there were so many perfectly fine animals without loving homes.

I still don’t know if we picked Luna or if she picked us; I like to think it was some kind of divine intervention, a symphony of the souls that brought us together. Never have I regretted giving her a home, but I do find myself wondering why someone has abandoned her because she is so wonderful. Their loss - our luck.

Three cats are enough though. We won’t be taking any more pets unless we move in some kind of a huge farm house…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least