Skip to main content

Quadrillion.

published in the Pom Pom Quarterly issue 6, autumn 2013
Yarn: Novita Wool 442 #gray
Needles: 4.0mm

Now that I'm all done I definitely get the name Quadrillion for this sweater. I feel like I have knitted at least that many cables! There are 8 different types of cable patterns on the front, and that's not all: some of the cables have two or even three different types of cabled sections inside them, and one additional small lace part. And if that's not enough to get you confused, the cable charts have different row counts for repeats so keeping track was quite hard. There was a suggestion of highlighting the correct rows with washi tape, but after a while I came to the conclusion that I would save a lot of time and fuss by photo-shopping them together to make one long chart.

I knitted the ribbing for the back and front separately but joined them in a round on the first row of the charted section (note that there is a different stitch count for the back and the front!). I thought it was easier to keep track of the charted section when I was looking at it from the RS all the time. I separated the front and back when the piece was a bit over 25 cm: that's the length of the side seams in the instructions. The back of this sweater is just mere double moss stitch and I knew I would get bored knitting it if done in pieces and it would be more interesting when knitted alongside the chart.



There's a mistake in the chart: it's missing purl columns between the cables and instead they are marked as knit stitches. There is errata available on the Pom Pom website but sadly I missed it when I began working the charted section. I did notice some 10 rows into the chart that there was something funny and luckily stopped to figure things out. After that it was just a matter of dropping stitches and picking them up again with a crochet hook. No permanent damage done!


Comments

  1. Voi mikä työ tuossa on ollut, mahtavaa! Mulla ei ois kyllä pinna riittänyt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oli kyllä iso homma, mutta mun mielestä palmikoiden neulominen on jollain tapaa terapeuttista. Samaa ei voi sanoa pitsistä, siinä loppuu yleensä mun pinna ;)

      Delete
  2. I really like this sweater ! i'm fond of the cables! So cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, the shape fits well and the cabled design is very beautiful, well done !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the