Skip to main content

My favorite knits 2014.

Of all the social media apps and sites Ravelry, Pinterest and Instagram are my absolute favorites. Especially Ravelry has been such an eye-opener for me; a gateway to taking my knitting to a whole another level, finding inspiration and learning a lot of new techniques. Before joining Ravelry (which I actually found through Pinterest) my knitting was restricted to the free patterns from the DROPS Design website (there is nothing wrong with their designs per se, but I love the variety and level of creativity found on Ravelry) and my own designs with varied levels of success. Another reason I love Ravelry is how it works as a project diary and how all my knitting information (yarns that I used, needle sizes, modifications I made or should make the next time...) is now easy to find in one safe place. I also love looking back on things I've created and how much I have accomplished. And taking a look back, I wanted to share my favorite knitting projects from last year.

I had a hard time picking the favorites, (so many to choose from,) but I also wondered which approach to take: favorite to knit, favorite to wear, favorite aesthetically? For example there are some projects that I love - like the Dessine-Moi un Mouton sweater which I absolutely adore - but for some reason I rarely use them. In the end I decided to list my favorites regarding the knits that I actually use the most. The projects below are in no specific order although the first thing that came to my mind when I started to think about favorites was my Stonecutter sweater: I love to wear it, it was a joy to knit and I really like the yarn and the color I chose for it. 


I love knitting Brooklyn Tweed designs. You can count on good sizing, well-written patterns and contemporary designs usually with a little twist. I've noticed that most of the knitting projects I've been most pleased with have been from their collections. I'm especially in love with the BT Fall 14 collection and I'm already knitting my fourth project (Ondawa) from it.

My favorite accessories:
Top row: Anstruther Hat, Lin-Lin Shawl and my second Hutchin Hat

I fell in love with the Hutchin hat the first time I saw it and had to cast on immediately for it. My first try didn't quite match the high expectations I had for it so for this second hat I made the modifications it needed and ended up with a perfect hat for the early fall and warm spring days. Because it's knitted with fingering weight yarn it is sadly way too light to wear this time of the year. The Anstruther hat with it's double brim has been in almost daily use instead. 

My favorite own designs: Keiko sweater and Honey Cap

The Keiko is by far the one I've worn the most this year. At the risk of sounding smug and self-satisfied I must say that Keiko is my favorite everyday garment. I love the boyfriend fit, the minimalistic look and the softness of the yarns I chose. I'm also really pleased with my Honey cap - I think the color is just perfect!

One thing I noticed while looking through my projects on Ravelry that I didn't knit any cardigans last year! Except for the Fuse cardigan of course, but it's not a regular old-fashioned cardigan in my opinion. So in 2015 I'm planning on knitting more cardigans even though it means more buttons to sew (not my favorite job).

Comments

  1. A beautiful collection :) it all looks very good together, too. I'm glad to hear you love to wear your Stonecutter and you're pleased with the yarn because I'm working on my own one right now. I was going to use another yarn but I ended up going with Lima, mostly because I saw it looked so good in your sweater. So, thanks!
    And funny about cardigans, I noticed I knit a handful of sweaters but only one cardigan in 2014 (and none in 2013!). I used to wear mostly cardigans before I started knitting so maybe I was making up for something. My goal for 2015 is cardigans too, a dark one and a light one at least. After I finish my Stonecutter sweater that is..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will love your stonecutter as much as I love mine! Have a great time knitting it :)

    And regarding cardigans, I somehow feel like they are much more arduous than knitting sweaters, must be the fact that they have that one extra piece ie. two front pieces and the extra work of buttons and buttonholes. Also you can't knit them in the round which I prefer (unless you do a steek which I still abhor despite doing it already quite a many times; I'm still afraid I will somehow destroy the whole piece...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least