Skip to main content

Hellebore.


I guess everyone has a project or two (or more than a few) somewhere just hibernating and waiting to be finished. I seem to find it really hard to pick up these projects and find the inspiration to complete them. There always seems to be a pile of knits waiting to be seamed, or weaving in all the yarn tails, or sewing the buttons... Once an unfinished project ends up in the Pile of Oblivion it is very unlikely it will ever be finished - or not in the next few years at least - and most probably will be unraveled when I need the yarn for something else. That pile is exactly where I found the front and back pieces of the Hellebore sweater lying totally forgotten.

I can't even really remember when I started to knit this but it was probably in February 2013. The pattern is part of the BT Winter 13 collection and I remember starting to knit it almost immediately after it was released. It was left on hold because I ran out of yarn after I had knitted the body of the sweater and only had the sleeves left. I also remember disliking the upwards rolling bottom edge of the body and setting the piece aside to figure out how to fix that. It took me almost 2 whole years to pick up the makings of the sweater again and finish the thing. During that time I had bought more yarn for the sweater with the intention of finishing it more than once, but first this happened and then this.


The first sleeve seemed to take forever and I was fighting the urge to give up on the whole project more than once, or at least to put it on hold for yet another indefinite period of time. Few rows at a time and knitting other things in between the sleeve finally came together. And then the second one, which seemed to come together much faster than the first one; maybe I was more determined to complete the whole thing being so close to the finish-line.

I fixed the upwards rolling bottom edge by unraveling the cast-on edge and knitting 12 rows of garter stitch before binding off loosely. It seems to work, let's see how well it takes to wear.

I really like this pullover, although I think the sleeves are somewhat loose. The finished project is really beautiful and if it wasn't such a pain in the a** to knit I would surely make a second one in another color. And then maybe a third one... But this first one took me so long to finish that I will probably concentrate on other things for now :)


published in BT Winter 13
Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Baby Merino #19
Needles: 3.5mm (and 2.5mm for the neck)

Comments

  1. the sweater is beautiful, but I can see why you found the sleeves hard going- so many small cables!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the