Skip to main content

My Knitting History.

Here's the first thing I knitted after reintroducing myself to needles and yarn: a little sweater for baby-Otto. This was almost exactly 11.5 years ago.

I was an artistic and crafty child. I preferred sitting still with a coloring book or glue and glitter to running around. I liked quiet time, water colors and reading books, and I could sit for hours in total silence with my My Little Ponies and just organize and decorate their home; I preferred preparing the play to actually playing it. I loved legos, clay, stickers, paintbrushes, crayons, pearls and just about anything you could either draw with or on or use for any other crafts.

I didn’t like team sports or ball games, and when I was told to play outside I was mostly just fascinated with leaves, flowers and other plant parts (especially acorns), bugs, shells and colorful or shimmering rocks. My mother says I always had my pockets filled with my “treasures” which often ended with my clothes to the washing machine (rocks, however pretty, are not a good thing to have in your washer, as you might suspect).

Art and biology were my favorite classes at school. I hated P. E. and textile studies: P. E. because I didn’t like sports (I liked dancing but all we did was play ball games, and I’ve never been much of a team player) and textile work, because sewing with patterns felt really restrictive to me when all I wanted was to get inspired and create. Another reason I hated the textile work classes was the fact that I felt I was forced to do it when I would have wanted to take the wood working classes instead. When I was a child our school was still so old-fashioned that all the girls had to learn textile work and the boys wood working, and it was unheard of the a girl could have attended the boys’ class or vice versa. 

So I had an attitude problem towards learning to knit, sew or crochet (although crochet was the only thing I liked and actually learned. Funnily it's the one I'm worst at nowadays.) In the 5th grade we were supposed to knit mittens and 6th grade woolen socks. My gauge for the mittens was so tight it literally hurt to knit and I can remember the yarn creaking against the needles. The mittens were way too small for me so I gave them to my little sister, who (as far as I know) never used them as they were ugly and uncomfortable. So when it was time to knit the socks I decided to knit very loosely but ended up dropping stitches because my stitches were so big and loose that they couldn’t hold the needles, and the needles would  just slide through them and drop on the floor. The socks had holes in them even when they were brand new. They were too big for me and I gave them to my dad, who bravely used them to please me even though they were ugly as well. I decided I was done and would never knit anything again.

I kept that promise for almost 10 years. The reintroduction with yarn and needles came when I started to study to become a furniture conservator. With a class full of crafty people I was too ashamed to admit that I could neither sew nor knit. Making handicrafts was encouraged in our uni and I jealously watched while the other students knitted amazing scarfs and mittens during the lectures while all I did was trying to stay awake.


My great-aunt had once given me an old book, maybe from the 1940’s or the beginning of the 1950’s which was called Tyttöjen Käsityöt, which translates to Girls’ Handiwork. She gave me the book so I would learn to repair my clothes: to sew a button or darn a sock, but it also had really good instructions on how to knit. I secretly started to teach myself alone at home to learn the basics of knitting and when I was confident enough I brought my needles and yarn to school and acted as it was the most natural thing in the world. Slowly the knitter inside me was brought to life and it started to take a bigger and bigger role in my life.


My first finished objects were quite hideous, but I proudly used them anyway. At first I found it hard to find modern patterns and tried to design my own, but it was quite hard as I hadn’t really learned the basic skills of knitting - for example a yoke or buttonholes. Then I stumbled upon Garnstudio and Drops Design on the internet and found a lot of free patterns that I liked, so I started knitting them, although often modifying the original designs. The biggest break in my knitting was in 2011 when I found Ravelry through Pinterest. I could probably say that was when I really became a Knitter.

Now days, I could spend all my free time knitting. I sometimes daydream quitting my job so I could concentrate all my effort and energy with my knit work. I do love my day job as a furniture conservator but I love knitting more. I love planning new things to knit, spending time on Ravelry looking what others have created, choosing yarns and color combinations, casting on new projects and binding off finished ones. I hate seaming and weaving in yarn ends, but that’s part of the job and if that’s the only downside I’m happy to live with it (although I have playfully tried to lure my husband to learn to do it for me. He already winds my balls of yarns from hank-shape skeins, so I don’t want to pressure him too much.)

P.S. I’m still not much of a seamstress and can only crochet a simple edging or a flower, but I would like to learn those skills as well.

Comments

  1. Loved reading it so much! I am always fascinated by stories behind knitting! And thank you for the idea to involve a hubby into yarn winding process :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so interesting how you came to knitting! And how wonderful that your university encouraged crafty skills, that seems really quite smart. And I bet it helps people focus their attention during lectures, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself find it easier to focus when I have something to do with my hands. And since my occupation is very much about hand work and crafts it was just smart that they wanted us to use our hands as much as possible.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least