Skip to main content

Capsule Wardrobe and Knitting. Part 1. My Capsule Wardrobe Knitting Goals.

Before my preganancy I started to read about capsule wardrobes and decided to try and minimize my own pile of clothes. During these past two years I've been trying to define my own stye by really focusing on which clothes I wear over and over again, and which ones are just taking space in my closet.

And the results have been a bit surprising. I have always thought of myself as a colorful person and I thought I loved a bit quirky clothes. But the fact is I don't actually dress the way I imagined I do. I mean, I own(ed) those kind of clothes, but I seldom wear (wore) them. In the reality I kept reaching for the same basics over and over again and feeling the most comfortable wearing them. I do love colors, just not wearing them.
 
It meant I had to redefine my style, my "uniform" and also my knitting queue. I cleaned away everything I didn't really wear and started to buy good quality basics instead. I also cleaned my knitting queue, replacing things that I liked only as an idea with things that would actually be wearable. I donated my most colorful yarns to Theo's kindergarten. I think they get much more purpose and use there than just taking space in my already too full dresser (also known as stash).

After a while my hand-knits started to get more "me" and I wore them a lot more than the stuff I knitted before. But still I kept having the feeling of not having anything I REALLY wanted to wear in my closet. At the same time I browsed through Pinterest dreaming and swooning over various styles and feeling sad that I didn't own a similar wardrobe and style. Then it hit me.

Why not use my Pinterest mood boards as guideline to my capsule wardrobe planning and knitting inspiration and queue?

So I collected a little mood board for inspiration. This is my most preferred style (quite simple isn't it?). Now I'm just trying to find the perfect patterns to match these. (There's a photo of a white turtle neck in the right bottom corner. I think it looks like the Flet pullover I already knitted. I still wanted it to be a part of this inspiration board, because it was the first thing I knitted after I started to think of my knitting in this new way.)


My FLET pullover <3

All the photos in the moodboard are from Pinterest.

Comments

  1. I love how you updated the theme of your site! So chic.

    It's funny that you talk about defining your style because when I first ran across you online was when I saw your amazing Ravelry project pictures. Serious goals.

    I have an overflowing Pinterest aspirational style board. :D https://www.pinterest.com/kleftwich/closet/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your gorgeous blog! Going to visit here from now on :-) Can I ask you to do something? Use on bit larger font on your posts. I have really hard time reading the text, because its so small.

    Read about your motherhood strugle (with magnifying glass - yes i´m pathetic blind forty something...). You are not the only one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and welcome! And I changed the font, didn't realize it was that small, oops! Thanks for pointing it out, I hope it's easier to read now!

      Delete
  3. So smart to overhaul your queue and wardrobe and focus on the basics! I think this is a common knitter problem- knitting things in fun colours because it seems like a good idea, even though we usually prefer neutrals. Love the inspiration knits you've posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still trying to figure everything out but hopefully this makes choosing what to knit easier :)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with this :) I make almost all my clothes and when I was starting out it made me a bit sad to always buy fabric/yarns in neutral colors - it doesn't look fun in the basket, heh. But the thing is, that's how I am most comfortable and that's the pieces I reach for - so that's what I'll make!

    For the longest time I kept trying to wear a bit more color but lately (and finally) I'm happy to settle into my neutrals and black.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least