Skip to main content

WE ARE KNITTERS X LUNAKNIT BLOG.



WE ARE KNITTERS X LUNAKNIT BLOG.

A few weeks ago I got an email from We are knitters asking if I was interested in a little social collaboration with them. I was over the moon happy about this opportunity! It is a privilege to get to work with such a well-known company as WAK. Initially WAK was looking for Swedish knitters to promote their yarn and kits, but after clearing the small confusion about my origins, (I live in Finland, and not Sweden even though the part of Finland I’m from is bilingual, and about 50% Swedish speaking) I was still welcomed on board.

The slogan of We are knitters is “All the happiness in a kit”. The company’s main idea is that anyone can learn how to knit and make their own clothes, and the patterns range from very beginner to more advanced level. The website has video tutorials for everything you need to know about knitting your own garments: all the stitches and special techniques are explained from casting on to weaving in ends and everything in between.


Everything is made very easy for you: you just go to their website, browse through their beautiful designs, choose your size and the color you want to knit with, and that’s all. The pattern comes home to you with the right needle size and the necessary amount of wool in your chosen color, and everything else you need for knitting your own garment. They have even included a WAK clothing label you can sew on your garment to give it a professional finish.


Another thing I love about WAK is their ideology and concern for sustainability, a cause that is very close to my heart. Their wool is 100 % Peruvian wool and on the WAK website you can find a lot of information about the production of the wool from the sheep to skeins. I wasn’t able to find information on whether the wool is ecological though, so I conclude it probably isn’t even though the mentioning of happy sheep in the Peruvian Andes makes me think of happy thoughts as well.
The idea of sustainability carries throughout the whole kit. There is no plastic anywhere to be seen. The needles are handmade and made of beechwood and the packaging materials are made from recyclable paper. This too, makes me really happy.

I chose to test the Latu cardigan kit. I was happy to notice that some of the patterns had Finnish names, such as Lumi and Suuri, and I thought choosing one of them would be fitting (especially taking the aforementioned confusion about my home country in consideration). Btw, “latu” means the traces the skis make in the snow, “lumi” is snow and “suuri” means big. I chose to knit it in this lovely dark forest green shade, which is my favorite color in the world.


The kit arrived in a week, which was pretty fast in my opinion. It came from Germany, so there were no custom duties involved. I’ve looked at WAK kits quite a many times, but the main reason I haven’t ordered anything has been the fear of having to pay a lot of customs on top of the already quite price-y kit. But it’s a good thing to know they ship within the EU, since ordering stuff from the US can sometimes be slow and costly.

Now, let’s start knitting!


Comments

  1. I love the stitch pattern! Can't wait to see how the finished garment turns out.

    As someone who lives in the US I wonder how shipping is to US. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey!

      We also ship to the US as we have a warehouse in the US :)
      Our website is www.weareknitters.com.

      Happy Knitting <3

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that colour! Your cardigan will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite color. And it's actually even more gorgeous in reality! The photos don't do it justice!

      Delete
  3. That color alone is making me drool. I love the swatch you have at the end too.

    I think that whole kit idea is simply fantastic, especially coming with the needles and the finishing touches. And the sustainability is an added bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree I really like the idea of a kit, it's a perfect gift for someone just starting out their knitting journey. You can also order the kits without the needles, so you don't have to worry about having multiple similar sized needles after a while :)

      Delete
  4. I have tried these wools and the sweaters made from these are soft and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so helpful for knitters who struggle with tension. I appreciate the explanations of what causes tension issues and the tips for correcting them. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful color! i love all sweaters :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least