Skip to main content

.Buttermilk cake with zucchini.





It's raining outside so I'm spending my day in watching ice-hockey on TV (Finland is playing against Kazakhstan), knitting and baking bread. I was going to go for a run today as it's almost been a week since my last time, but the rainy weather and distant thunder made me stay home. Maybe I'll do some yoga exercises tonight instead...




Yesterday I made a buttermilk cake and added some zucchini to make it a bit healthier. Buttermilk cake was something I made often as a child as it's such an easy recipe, as it doesn't require any whisking of eggs or butter or sugar or other more complicated steps. It was actually the first real baking I have ever done by myself. (Hmm.. either this or pancakes, I'm not sure...) The original recipe is from my mother, but I modified it a bit to make it gluten and wheat free (as well as the additional zucchini I mentioned earlier). You can substitute the flours with normal all purpose flour and leave the zucchini out to bake the cake I made as a child or follow my recipe to make the updated version, your choice, they are both equally good!

P.S. I made the cardigan I'm wearing in the photos above with this pattern. I used Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca (shade #618 if I remember correct...)



BUTTERMILK CAKE WITH ZUCCHINI

3 dl buttermilk
200 g butter (melted)
2 dl sugar
1 dl syrup
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cardamom 
1 tsp baking soda
3 dl corn flour
3 dl coconut flour
400-500g of grated zucchini



Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Mix all the ingredients as quickly as possible to make an even consistency. Be careful not to knead the batter too much, so that it won't get too tough. Pour it into a greased and floured cake pan (I used melted butter and coconut flour for this). Bake in the oven for ca 1 hour or until well done. 

As easy as that. Let the cake cool completely before serving. If it's too warm, it's hard to cut. 

Comments

  1. I love your cardigan. You're inspiring me to knit more things, somewhat unfortunately since my queue on ravelry is already too long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least