Skip to main content

Toscakaka – a Classic Scandinavian Almond Caramel Cake.



Toscakaka (or toscakakku in Finnish) is a dear childhood memory of mine, but sadly after the invasion of American style baking with cookies, super-rich-brownies and over-the-top-cupcakes this traditional part of fika (which means to have a coffee break with a sweet treat) has been almost forgotten. I can’t even remember the last time I was served this cake. Toscakaka along with marble cake (which we called tiikerikakku, translating to “tiger cake”) was probably the most common cake baked for guests when I was young and it was everyone’s favourite.

Last week after getting nostalgic with the buttermilk cake I got a craving for toscakaka, and with a small caution decided to bake it again. I was a bit afraid that, as with many childhood favourites, maybe the cake would not be as good as my memory of the amazing taste of it, and would be disappointed. After calling for my mother for the recipe and making a mess in the kitchen, I found out that my worries were unnecessary: it is at least as good as I remembered. Actually even better: I started to wonder why I hadn’t baked it before. My husband came home and his first words were: “Yay, toscakaka!”, then “Oh my God this is good!” and lastly “Can I have another piece?


Toscakaka has a delicious and moist spongy cake in the bottom covered with almond and caramel topping. It’s very easy to make, can be stored in the fridge or even put in a freezer (although I doubt there won’t be anything left at our house to freeze, it is so good). If you do decide to freeze it or a part of it though, take it out a day before serving and let it thaw in the fridge, so that it won’t get soggy.

Traditionally toscakaka is made in a cake pan, but I’ve always liked the topping the most and wanted to maximize the amount of it versus the cake itself. That’s why I made my cake into more of a pie by spreading it out over the whole baking tray and doubling the amount of the almond caramel topping. If you want to make a cake instead follow the instructions for the cake, put it into a cake pan (you should probably bake it in the oven a bit longer as it’s thicker) and make only half of the topping to spread over the cake.

And lastly: If you don’t have a problem with eating wheat, just substitute the flours (corn meal, coconut flour and potato starch) I used with 5 dl of all-purpose flour.



Toscakaka – Almond Caramel Cake

Cake bottom
4 eggs (preferably room temperature)
3 dl caster sugar
3 dl corn meal
2 dl coconut flour
1 dl potato starch (corn starch works as well)
1 Tbsp. baking powder (yes, really, 1 Tbsp., it’s not a typo)
200 g butter (melted)
1 dl double cream

Almond Caramel Topping
200 g (about 7 dl) almond flakes
100 g butter
2 dl brown sugar
1 dl double cream
1 tsp sea salt

Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Beat together the eggs and sugar until thick. Add all the dry ingredients and fold them into the mixture. Lastly add the cream and butter; mix until well combined, and spread the mixture evenly over the lined baking tray. Bake the cake in the oven for 12 minutes. The cake should be only half-done at this point.

While the cake is baking, prepare the topping by putting all the ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to boil stirring the mixture constantly. Try not to crush the almond flakes while stirring. Cook for a couple of minutes until the sugar has melted, but the mixture is still runny.

Take the cake out of the oven, spread the topping over it and put back for another 15 minutes, or until the almonds are golden brown and the cake is thoroughly baked. Let the cake cool before serving. It tastes best when served at room temperature. You can serve it as it is or with whipped cream or a ball of vanilla ice cream.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least