Skip to main content

Plimoth Hat.

Pattern: Plimoth Hat by Alicia Plummer, free Ravelry download
Yarn: Marks & Kattens Twist #347094
Needles: 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm

This was "a snack between the meals"-project. I had just finished the Stricken socks and I'm out of yarn for both the Aurora scarf and the Docklight sweater (didn't get them from my local yarn store so had to place an order). The only thing I had on my needles was the Stasis pullover, but I didn't feel like knitting it: other than the charted two-color sections it's just stockinette stitch in a round, boring... This was a fairly quick project with worsted weight yarn and a simple design, so I finished the whole hat over the weekend in addition to knitting a cuff for a new sock project and adding some 20 cm in length for the Stasis's sleeve. The pattern is freely downloadable via Ravelry.



The yarn I used for this project is something my mother gave me a while back. She was clearing our garage and came across a box of her old woolen yarns. She rarely knits nowadays so she gave the yarns to me. There were three skeins of this yarn and since it's no longer in production I can't get hold of any more of it. I've been pondering what to knit with it: how to use all of it but at the same time have enough yarn to finish what I started. There's not enough for a scarf (which otherwise would have been a good project since once a scarf has reached the minimum length it doesn't really matter if there's an extra 10 or 15 or 30 cm in length; you can just knit until you run out of yarn) but too much for a hat or a pair of mittens. I did some calculating and I think there might be just enough to make both a hat and a pair of simple mittens.




The yarn is probably not the best choice for this hat. It's made of two different plies (one white, one dark gray) that are twisted together, which results in a tweed-like fabric similar to knitting with two different yarns simultaneously. The yarn might be a bit to busy for a cable pattern which kind of gets lost in the midst. It might have worked better with a more toned-down yarn. But I do like the hat anyway.

There were some small issues with the pattern I would have done differently like the 1x1 ribbing not aligning after the increase round or the bit messy decreasing when shaping the crown. I also added some length to the hat as well because it was too short when following the given measurements. Other than that a nice and basic hat pattern.





I also started another Socktober sock project over the weekend: the striped crew socks from the Purl Bee website. I thought these socks would be another good way to reduce my stash. I'm using the gray Novita Wool that was left over from the Lady Stardust scarf and mixing it up with yellow stripes with a yarn I dyed myself in the summer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the