Skip to main content

Vector Shawl.




This was the first time ever that I ordered yarn online before first seeing (and feeling) it in reality. Some might call me a kind of a yarn snob - not because I would only use expensive brands but because I only knit with a few tried and tested sorts that I know I like (and refuse to buy synthetic fibers) - but I just find it really hard to venture out of my comfort zone and try new things: what if I don't like how the yarn feels? If it irritates my skin? If it pills immediately? Or the color is nothing like it looked on the computer screen? I don't want to risk ruining a knitting project just because the yarn choice was off.

I had read so many good reviews about Holst Garn yarns and obviously they are very popular among Ravelers (thousands of knitters can't be wrong, right?) so I felt brave enough to try them for myself. I love how many colorways there are to choose from and the vast array of colors was exactly what allured me in the first place. However the sample photos for the different yarn colors could be a bit bigger to get a better picture of the shades. I had to go back and forth between the Holst Garn website and Ravelry's project pages to see how the colors actually look like and to find the loveliest hues.


The yarn was a bit rough and stiff and it was especially evident when compared to Garnstudio Drops Baby Merino I was simultaneously knitting other projects with. I found this a bit amusing since the yarn is called Supersoft - I'm scared to think how the other varieties feel like to knit with ;) The yarn did soften and relax after I washed the finished scarf and now it feels lovely against my skin and drapes beautifully.

The shawl itself was cosy TV knitting, a lot garter stitch back and forth with a simple slipped stitch selvages. I didn't want to make the small version because I wanted more like a shawl than a flimsy scarf but I thought the larger version would be too big for daily use so I knitted something between the two alternatives. I casted on 106 stitches - 3 selvage stitches per side + 100 stitches for the main scarf. Otherwise I followed the pattern as it is with the same row count and everything. 

I really like the colors and I do like the yarn as well. Now I have a new yarn to add to my list of tested and approved yarns!I'm already thinking about the next colors to use.



Pattern: Vector by Tanis Lavallee 
Yarn: Holst Garn supersoft 100 % uld, colorways Cinnamon, Goldcrest,
Cashew, Camel and Almond
Needles: 4.0 mm


Comments

  1. Beautiful color palette! I am working on a shawl with similar construction and it is also my relaxing in-between project. I guess we all need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your in-between hybrid size, it does look really nice, and the colours you chose are great! Glad that yarn softened up post-blocking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting!

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy!
CLOUD MITTENS
(Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry)

You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g) 
Needles: a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me
Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches)


To fit an average woman hand
Intermediate knitting skills required

Theo's New Knitwear.

All of Theo's hats became suddenly too small for him. And also too hot now that spring has arrived. I had been eyeing the Kyushu hat pattern by Kuroki Knitting for a while and decided to knit it now that I had the chance. I love knitting baby hats because they are really fast to knit but at the same time as versatile as grown-up hats. This hat had a really unique eyelet sic sac pattern which was fun to knit. 
Theo was diagnosed with allergy to eggs, that's why his cheeks are looking so bad at the moment. But now we know and can eliminate all things containing eggs from his diet!
This was my first time knitting with Sandnes Garn Mini Alpaca, but certainly not the last one. Unlike many other alpaca yarns it was not at all itchy which is important for baby knits. The light blue color is also really cute in my opinion. 

I have also finished the bunny yoke pullover I started knitting during the Easter holidays. The pattern is Sweet William by Ann Kingstone and it is one of the cute…