Skip to main content

Breton.



I'm taking a short break from packing (we are leaving for our holiday in Turkey on the day after tomorrow) to show you my newly finished Breton sweater. This one was a long time in making: I started it last year and finished only now! I'm not quite sure why exactly it took me this long to finish, the whole pullover was fairly simple stockinette stitch with some stripes, so nothing too fancy there. It just took me ages.

There were a couple of things I changed about the pattern. First of all, I knitted it in a round, both the body and the sleeves (but separately obviously). I read on Ravelry that many had commented about it being a pain in the a** to try and line the stripes when seaming so I decided to skip that part as much as I could. There were the seaming of the inevitable sleeve caps but that went surprisingly well considering my not-so-great skills at mattress stitch. (I'm actually really proud of my seaming this time!) I used this tutorial from Knitty to make the shift from one colour to another when knitting stripes in a round less visible, and I think it worked out fine. Of course you can see the change of colors but it doesn't bother me (look at the photo below).


Another change I made was to add ribbing to the cuffs and hem, because I don't like when raw edges start to curl. I think it's fine at collars like on this pullover so I didn't change that part. I added 8 rows of broken rib to the cuffs and 16 rows to the hem and I really like how it looks.


The best part about this pullover in my opinion is the shaping of the back. I was curious to see how the shoulder seams would turn out, as I felt a bit unsure while knitting them but I really love the look and the fit is perfect.


Pattern: Breton by Jared Flood, from BT Fall 12
Yarn: Drops Baby Merino, #01 White and #21 black
Needles: 3.0mm and 3.5mm



Comments

  1. Another gorgeous sweater! I love how crisp and clean it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the addition of the broken rib, really gives it a little extra detail that looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the