Skip to main content

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.



Another book to check off my reading bucket list. This has been my favorite book of all time for a long time. I’ve read it at least 5 times, and it shows: the book is quite worn-out and the cover has been torn into two pieces (I have used the loose part as a bookmark). Without spoiling the story too much for you who haven't read it, it's about all the gods people have worshiped in the past: ancient Egyptian gods, Norse gods, Indian gods, African tribal gods, gods that people have believed in when they came to America. The story follows the gods trying to struggle in the modern world where everybody has forgotten about them and no one believes in them anymore. There's an epic battle looming between the old gods and the new "gods" we now love: internet, television, stock markets and money. It’s kind of sci-fi or fantasy, very dark and a bit weird = my kind of a story.

Small side note for you who don’t know me: I’m a geek and a nerd, even though I try to hide it under normal adult attire. I love Star Wars and Lord of The Rings, I’m obsessed with Game of Thrones, and I read mostly fantasy and sci-fi books. I can quote Star Wars and know poems from LOTR by heart (for example the one that starts “All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost…”). We have Star Wars posters (yes, more than one), a couple of My Neighbor Totoro and two Tintin posters hanging on our walls and a genuine '80's Transformers figurine on display (it’s Magnus’s but I bought it)… And so on, you get the point.

I hadn’t read the book for at least 7 years: even though I don’t believe in supernatural things reading the book started to get a bit creepy. Things that happened in the book kept happening to me at the same time, and this was not only on one occasion but every time I read the book. For example: I was sitting on a train while reading the story and got really tired all of the sudden. I tried to read to the end of the page to keep track of my reading before dozing off to sleep. About an hour later I woke up feeling disoriented and groggy. I continued to read and on the next page the main character, Shadow, woke up a few hours later after he had been drugged. Another time reading the book (back when I still used to smoke) I paused to light a cigarette and continuing with the story the sentence was something like “He took a packet of Lucky Strikes from his pocket and lit a cigarette with a black Bic lighter.” I looked down to my hands and there were a packet of Lucky Strikes and a black Bic lighter. I felt chills down my spine. These are just a few examples of many, but you can certainly understand why I have found the book a bit creepy and disturbing…

Another reason I haven’t read the book for a while was that I was afraid I wouldn’t like it anymore. There’s a difference being 22 and liking something to being 30; maybe the book wouldn’t be as great as I remembered and I would spoil it. Despite these fears I decided to have another go with it. And I was glad to notice I still liked it. It is still a great book. I can still call it one of my favorite books all time.


The story is really weird as I mentioned earlier and it’s hard to compare to any other book I have ever read. Having read it before and thus knowing how it ends, the impact of the story is not as massive and “mind-blowing” as the first time reading through: you couldn’t have guessed the ending and it is nothing like you expected. However you will find a lot of small hints and word plays throughout the book if you know what you are looking for and the things that you would have found very absurd the first time make suddenly sense.

Nothing creepy happened to me this time reading the book. I did fall asleep at the same point of the story as I mentioned earlier, but it's probably either because I was really tired and tried to reach the end of the paragraph, or maybe the story is just really boring at that point. Who knows, but this time I didn't get the creeps .

P.S. I’ve read other Neil Gaiman’s books as well: Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, Stardust, Smoke and Mirrors, and Fragile Things (the latter two are collections of short stories) but I have liked none of the others so much that I would read them twice or recommend them for anyone. In my opinion The American Gods is definitely Gaiman’s masterpiece and I have been wondering why no one has turned it into a movie yet, it would have such a great potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least