Skip to main content

.Ornette Socks.

Yarn: Novita Wool shade #727 Lilac
Needles: 2.5 mm

The Ornette Socks are now (finally) ready. They were a lot of work, but I'm really happy about the result. They fit perfectly and look really complicated (which they actually were). The first few (or 30 rows) were quite difficult and I had to concentrate really hard, but after that the pattern became more intuitive, and I even knitted the last sock while watching TV. 

I did make some mistakes though, but none that really matter now that the socks are finished. I was knitting the second smallest size (size S, that is) but somewhere along the way got mixed up and started to follow  the instructions for the smallest socks. I kept wondering how many instep decreases I was supposed to make as the amount seemed much larger than normally, but just shrugged it off by feeling happy that the socks have really long instep part as my foot is quite high. By the end of the sock I realised that because of the too many decreases the pattern didn't match the toe shaping. I thought about unraveling but was lazy and started the toe shaping despite everything. Luckily it doesn't look bad at all.

Two other things I would like to comment about: first, you really have to keep track on how many stitches you lift from the edge of the heel flap as this affects the rest on the sock, (how much Stockinette stitch you will have at the end of the foot) to make the other sock identical. The second point is about the length of the sock: I started the toe shaping already after row 59 even though the correct row would have been 77, which is like 18 rows and a whole pattern repeat later. Luckily I noticed that the sock was getting way too long. I even had to make the toe decreases every round because otherwise the sock would have turned out massive. I stopped knitting when I had 24 stitches left on my needles and grafted them together with kitchener stitch.


Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting!

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy!
(Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry)

You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g) 
Needles: a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me
Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches)

To fit an average woman hand
Intermediate knitting skills required

Capsule Wardrobe and Knitting. Part 1. My Capsule Wardrobe Knitting Goals.

Before my preganancy I started to read about capsule wardrobes and decided to try and minimize my own pile of clothes. During these past two years I've been trying to define my own stye by really focusing on which clothes I wear over and over again, and which ones are just taking space in my closet.
And the results have been a bit surprising. I have always thought of myself as a colorful person and I thought I loved a bit quirky clothes. But the fact is I don't actually dress the way I imagined I do. I mean, I own(ed) those kind of clothes, but I seldom wear (wore) them. In the reality I kept reaching for the same basics over and over again and feeling the most comfortable wearing them. I do love colors, just not wearing them. It meant I had to redefine my style, my "uniform" and also my knitting queue. I cleaned away everything I didn't really wear and started to buy good quality basics instead. I also cleaned my knitting queue, replacing things that I liked only…