Skip to main content

Lady Stardust.




Pattern by Reiko Kuwamura
Yarns: Novita Wool (shade #443 Light Grey)
Drops Baby Merino (shade #13 navy)
Needles: 4.0 mm

You know sometimes when you start a new project you have a clear view how it's going to look when it's finished. And when it's actually off your needles it's nothing like you envisioned? This is one of those projects but not in a bad way.

I wasn't going to knit another blue project. That wasn't my plan when I started. This scarf was supposed to be grey with red stripes. But when it came to adding the contrasting color I decided the red just didn't look good. First of all there was too big a difference between the yarn weights (the grey one is listed as DK even though it's closer to sport weight in my opinion, and the red one felt like very light fingering weight) and the red kind of got lost in the midst of the grey one. Secondly there was not enough contrast between the yarns and I thought it looked just blah.




After going through my yarns and trying out different opinions I gingerly came to the conclusion that the blue was best, both in regard of the color combination and the yarn weight. I guess the navy yarn is finally growing on me though; I must admit I really like it. (Actually I've always liked navy blue but I never really thought I would be wearing and using it as much as I do nowadays, I've always been a more red-oriented person.)

I really like this scarf. It was fun to knit and turned out really pretty. I'm glad I chose to knit it with a bit heavier yarn so it's more wearable this time of year. It also gave the scarf a couple of extra centimeters in every direction because my gauge was obviously bigger. I had planned on doing one extra pattern repeat to make it a bit larger, but it wasn't necessary in the end. I was thinking about knitting another one in fingering weight yarn to be worn in the spring time, but I'll save that project for later.


I like the i-cord edgings, especially in the striped section; they give the scarf a very neat and finished look. The striped garter stitch edge with the yarn changes could easily have looked messy without the edging. When I first started the border section I wasn't happy with the i-cords because they were really loose and looked exposed, so I tried to pull the yarn really tight. Don't! It didn't help, actually it only made things worse because it started to cramp the whole piece and pull the edges, so I unraveled and started again. They will set nicely after a couple of rows so don't worry about it. I also steamed the piece by ironing it through a wet towel and that gave the edges the final touch they needed.





Stash busted: 2.8 skeins of Novita Wool (379 m and 140 g) and 1.5 skeins of Drops Baby Merino (262 m and 75 g)

Comments

  1. I said this on ravelry, but I will say it again. I love this. I already have this on my queue but you may have tipped me over the edge. I want to make it NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The scarf was fun to knit as I wrote earlier, and I also really like to wear it since it is quite multifunctional: there are a lot of different ways to wear it so it's very versatile. I recommend this for your next project ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting!

(By Far) The Easiest Way to K4Tog.

I have published earlier a post on an easy way to k4tog - knit 4 stitches together - which is an essential stitch in my Cloud mitten pattern. As you might already know it is a bit challenging especially with 2.5 mm bamboo needles that not only have sharp tips but are bendy and especially prone to snapping. Stubborn as I am, I wasn't going to give up and change the design just to make it easier to knit. So I came up with the idea of using a tiny crochet hook to pull the working stitch through other three. 
I was planning to use this same method when knitting the second pair of Cloud mittens, but alas, I couldn't find the hook anywhere. I seem to have misplaced it and I just can't remember where I put it... And as you know I don't crochet often so the second smallest hook I had was size 3.5 mm which didn't work for this purpose for obvious reasons. 
So I was back to square one trying to figure out how to do the k4tog in an easy way when I got the idea of reversing t…

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy!
CLOUD MITTENS
(Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry)

You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g) 
Needles: a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me
Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches)


To fit an average woman hand
Intermediate knitting skills required