Skip to main content

This Is Me Only Concentrating On The Redford Sweater.







Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Safran

shade #09 navy

Needles: 2.5 mm (for tubular cast on), 3.0 mm for the ribbing

and 4.0 mm for the cabled section

I hope you all caught the irony in this post's title. Instead of finishing the Redford sweater I finished this hat. However I have also finished the first sleeve of the sweater and seamed the parts of the body together so there's not much left to knit either. It won't be long before it's ready as well.

I really liked this cap design and since I needed something else than the Redford sweater to knit; I thought this would be small and quick enough a project to distract me when needed. The cable design has a lot happening with all kinds of twisting and separating and twining again. It certainly is something to keep your mind occupied; a good project for when you don’t want to think anything else than what is on your needles. And Otto being sick as well as me having a really hard week at work the distraction was welcomed.

I’m not sure if I like the tubular cast on method for this cap. Yes, it makes the bottom edge of the cap a bit thicker, but I don’t think it looks very refined or neat. Or maybe I just didn’t do it right or well enough because I couldn't get the stitches to align neatly. The first few rows took a long time to knit and I don’t think the effort put in it was rewarded because the end result wasn’t anything spectacular. I have done tubular cast on before and liked the result but I’ve always done 1x1 ribbing. For the Hutchin you had to rearrange the stitches after a couple of rows to get to 2x2 ribbing from the initial 1x1 and at that point it got messy. I like this cap design so I will most likely knit another one, but I’m pretty sure the next time I will use the long-tail method to cast on.



I was also a bit unsure about knitting fingering weight yarn (or in my case sport weight) with 4.0 mm needles as the pattern called for in the cabled section. I was afraid the gauge would be too loose and there would be holes, especially since I used cotton yarn which has no fuzziness to cover the gaps. The yarn seemed to stretch quite a lot while knitting, but after washing it the size and fit seemed fine, although rather a bit on the loose side than tight. I would recommend knitting the cables with 3.0 mm or 3.5mm needles if you want a tighter fit.

I like how lightweight the cap is; perfect for this time of the year, but the next time I’m knitting it I will probably use DK weight yarn to make it a bit more wearable. The season for lightweight caps is sadly very short in Finland. 

Another project completed using my vast amount of stashed blue yarns. Stash busted: 1.5 skeins, 75 grams and 264 meters. 



Comments

  1. The hat is beautiful, the colour is very good for the pattern! Cotton cables, yea!
    I think that tublar cast on for k2p2 ribbing is always less neat than for k1p1. Looking in store bought, industrial made sweaters, there's that little odd "decoration" in the cast on edge. Simple long tail cast on looks better for k2p2, and there are perhaps other stretchy cast on methods to use than tubular cast on when more stretch is wanted. In a way, tubular cast on for a hat edge could be a bit overdoing it, that much extra stretch is not needed there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting!

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy!
CLOUD MITTENS
(Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry)

You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g) 
Needles: a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me
Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches)


To fit an average woman hand
Intermediate knitting skills required

Theo's New Knitwear.

All of Theo's hats became suddenly too small for him. And also too hot now that spring has arrived. I had been eyeing the Kyushu hat pattern by Kuroki Knitting for a while and decided to knit it now that I had the chance. I love knitting baby hats because they are really fast to knit but at the same time as versatile as grown-up hats. This hat had a really unique eyelet sic sac pattern which was fun to knit. 
Theo was diagnosed with allergy to eggs, that's why his cheeks are looking so bad at the moment. But now we know and can eliminate all things containing eggs from his diet!
This was my first time knitting with Sandnes Garn Mini Alpaca, but certainly not the last one. Unlike many other alpaca yarns it was not at all itchy which is important for baby knits. The light blue color is also really cute in my opinion. 

I have also finished the bunny yoke pullover I started knitting during the Easter holidays. The pattern is Sweet William by Ann Kingstone and it is one of the cute…