Skip to main content

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carré.


For such a small book this was a really slow one to read. It was written in a way where every word counts and you had to read every sentence really carefully to understand the plot. I often found myself reading and rereading one or two sentences or paragraphs over and over again because I was tired, my mind wandered and I couldn’t keep my thoughts together. I usually read before going to sleep and I seldom could finish more than a few pages of this book before I started to feel too drowsy to concentrate.

I’m not a big reader of suspense novels; especially spy thrillers are quite an unfamiliar genre to me. This was actually the first book by John le Carré I’ve ever read, even though the author is well-known. The book belonged to my father but for some reason he had two copies of it, so he gave the other one to me along with some other old books of his, such as the James Bond novel From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming amongst others. All the while reading the book I had the sensation of missing something: like I should know more than I did. I put it down to the fact that I’m not familiar with this type of writing, subjects (politics, espionage, international relations…) or the setting in the world of British Intelligence Agency. The book uses a lot of jargon and terms I'm not familiar with like lamplighters and dead letter boxes. There were also a lot of characters, many only mentioned by name, and if that’s not enough to confuse you, the people had multiple names as well – their spy working names. It was quite a lot of effort keeping track who’s who. Don’t expect any long portrayals of how people look and what they wear or their feelings, let alone any descriptive passages about landscapes or sunsets because there are none. It’s all about what’s happening and what has been said.


The main character is George Smiley, an ex-agent in the British Intelligence who was forced to retirement. He’s brought back to the “Circus” which is the highest office in the British Intelligence Agency to identify an undercover Soviet mole known by a codename “Gerald”. Smiley starts to dig through old files and talk to people who were also forced to leave the Circus after a failed operation to surface the mole Gerald years ago. How Smiley knew exactly what operation to start probing was left a bit unclear to me: there must be thousands of espionage cases in the Agency every year, especially since the story is situated in the time of the Cold War. But I guess spy novels are not meant to be that logical, since the action and suspense are the main aspects of that genre. OK, it was all explained in the end in the fashion of Hercule Poirot, but I would have wanted a bit more explanation along the way.

The last few pages were full-packed with action. All the suspense that had been building throughout the story was wrapped up in a couple of short chapters with a small sense of an anti-climax. The revelation of the mole was not quite as big a bomb to me as the reader as it seemed to be to the characters of the book. A lot of things were left hanging in the air. How the betrayal by the mole affected the other characters, Smiley especially and his wife Ann? How the mole Gerald actually became a mole for Russia? Who kills him in the end (sorry about the small spoiler) or was it a suicide? The ending raised more questions than it answered and it's clear that the book was planned to begin a series of Smiley-Karla-books. However there was not enough meat in the story for me to read the sequels. 

A good book to read on a holiday, but maybe not my kind of story. Doesn't mean I wouldn't read other books by le Carré or the same genre, but at least now I know what to expect...



In addition to finishing the book (and eating apple and blueberry pie and tarte tatin which I also made this weekend), I just finished weaving in all the bits of yarn of the Redford sweater. There's still sewing of the shoulder seams and then it's done. So tonight I finally get to cast on for a new project!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least