Skip to main content

Wanderling.

Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Baby Merino
shade #23 light beige 
Needles: 3.5 mm and 3.0 mm (for ribbing)

Here it is, finally. Somehow knitting it felt like a really long process; maybe because it was always my b-project, and never the main thing I was working on. Knitting the yoke seemed to take forever: it included a lot of checking the pattern and then double-checking it again, counting stitches and forgetting which row I was on, then checking the pattern and the stitches once again. When past the yoke, it started to get easier and more intuitive, maybe even a bit boring towards the end.

I decided against making the pockets. I was afraid the sides of the sweater would start to sag and was also unsure if the pockets would bulge through the fabric. The yarn I was using, Garnstudio Drops Baby Merino, is pretty stretchy so I thought the sweater would look better without the pockets. I guess the pockets would be nice if the sweater was done with worsted weight yarn and would be more bulky and sturdy, but for such a lightweight fabric I doubted they would look neat.



I was a bit lazy and knitted the garter stitch hems back and forth instead of in the round; this means no purling! I then used the tail from bind off to seam the the edges of the hem together. Otherwise I followed the instructions to the tee. I had some problems with the button band: the pattern is very well written and detailed for each row, except for the button band which was in my opinion written so that it was a bit hard to understand. I think I figured it out after a while - at least I have a complete button band on my sweater - but I still have some doubts if I did it correctly.



The Wanderling sweater is a nice take on  a quite classic sweater design. I especially like the button band in front and the mock cable running down the back. This is something to wear every day, a basic knit for everyone's wardrobe. My color choice was a bit boring, I must admit, but now it's easy to accessorize with colorful scarfs or jewellery.


Stash busted: 5.5 skeins - 275 grams - 960 meters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the