Skip to main content

.Square(s) of the month.

In a previous post I mentioned that I started to knit a big blanket with an idea of knitting one square piece a month. I usually get quickly bored with my projects and have to tendency to leave them unfinished if they take too much time. I have been dreaming of a big knitted blanket to wrap around me in the cold wintertime but the idea of knitting one project for that long has been putting me off for a long while. So this year I decided to knit it in pieces, one square every month.

I decided to make all the squares different so that I could have new inspiration every month. This far I’ve knit 2 bigger pieces and 2 smaller pieces (the latter being my “February piece”: I decided to make two because I ran out of yarn just 20 cm into the first one and couldn’t get the same shade of grey anymore. So I knit another smaller piece to make up for the missed length.)

The only restriction I gave myself was the color scheme: I’m using only different shades of white, grey and black, so that the pieces will all look good together. I’m thinking about lining the backside with fabric and maybe edging it with ribbon or a bit of lace, but I haven’t decided that yet. Also my thoughts on the fabric keep changing: I’m not sure if I want a colorful fabric or just something plain and simple, or maybe black and white with a graphic design.

Last month I wanted to do a square with two colors. So I decided to use the Dala horse pattern that can be found on Selbu Dala mittens on Ravelry. I cut and copy-pasted the pattern with Photoshop to make it repeat, and I’m really happy about the result. However the square turned out bigger than the rest and it also took longer to knit (I only finished it a few days ago), so this month I’ve been knitting again with just one color and a simpler patterning.


Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least