Skip to main content

.Anchovy Pie With Caramelized Red Onions (Gluten Free).


It starts to look like I should rename this blog "pie and knit"-blog. But I like pie. There, I said it. Now I don’t have to make any more excuses for posting yet another pie recipe. I was so overjoyed about finally mastering the wheat and gluten free pie crust that I just had to make some more. Just think of something you really love, finding out that you are allergic to it and spending 1.5 years before finally finding a decent substitute for it. That’s how it was for me with the wheat allergy.

This time I made a pie with anchovy and red onions. It reminds me of the French onion pie, pissaladière. The saltiness of the anchovy and olives is balanced by the caramelized red onions and balsamic vinegar. It is full of taste and gets even better if made the day before serving.

A small note: It’s weird but I get a serious craving for anchovy once or twice a month. My favorite pizza toppings are anchovy, garlic and capers. The obsession and love for anchovy runs in our family: anchovy pizza is also the favorite of my grandfather and my dad loves making anchovy sandwiches topped with cooked eggs with a bit runny yolks.




GLUTEN FREE ANCHOVY PIE WITH CARAMELIZED RED ONIONS

one pie crust with this recipe

Filling:
700 g red onions
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tins of anchovy fillets (125g / 81g per tin)  
100 g of olives
35 g of small capers
0.5 dl fresh thyme, roughly chopped (you can substitute this with 1 or 2 tsp dried thyme)
black pepper according to taste
olive oil for frying


Peel and slice the onions thinly. Pour some olive oil onto a frying pan and sauté the onions on a medium heat for about 10 minutes. They should get soft and kind of transparent, so make sure you don’t let them burn and brown. Season with thyme and black pepper, and add the balsamic vinegar and sugar as well as the oil or stock from one of the anchovy tins. Let the onions cook for about 20 minutes.

At this point, preheat your oven to 225 degrees. Follow the recipe and instructions for the preparation of the pie crust provided in the link above, or use your favorite crust recipe for a savory pie. Grease a pie form with a small spoonful of butter. My pie form has 27 cm diameter. Press it into your pie form starting from the edges and working your way to the middle.

By now your onions should be nice and soft. Add the olives and capers and the anchovies from one tin. Stir and sauté the mixture until the anchovies have “melted” into it.

Spread the filling evenly on the crust and garnish with the rest of the anchovies. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until fully baked and the edges have started to brown slightly. Let the pie rest for a while before serving. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least