Skip to main content

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.” 


Here you can also see what I'm knitting at the moment. This is the Dune scarf and I'm using one of the yarns I hand-dyed myself. 

I don't usually read books about war. They are not really my genre. However, I try to broaden my perspective and pick books that aren't initially appealing to me or about things that I necessarily like or know of. Sometimes I find out that my preliminary preconception about the book and the subject was right and I didn't like the book or couldn't identify with it. And then there are times when I'm glad I started to read because otherwise I would have missed a great story. This book is of the latter category.

I bought this book because of the ratings and praise it had received. Just look at any of the "100 books you should read before you die" or "top 50 best books ever" lists and this book is almost certainly listed. I didn't even know what the book was about when I started to read it and was a bit taken aback when realising it was about a war. 

In the beginning I wasn't even sure what war we were talking about: WWI, WWII or some other made up war that hasn't really happened but could have. I didn't know if the main characters were Brits or American, the only clue in the beginning was that Yossarian (the main protagonist) was of an Assyrian heritage. Soon I picked up that they were flying bombers so I concluded that the book was probably not about the First World War (although they did introduce the first airplanes during that war). Then I gathered that the unit of soldiers were Americans and that they were stationed on a small island of Pianosa in Italy. On page 50 or so there was a small remark about Hitler, which made me dance a little victory dance: American bombardiers fighting Germans in Italy during WWII, got it! I could have just gone online, read a summary about the book and know these things already on page 1, but what's the fun in that? I like not knowing more than the author lets you to find out. I don't want to spoil things.


Me not reading war books brought forth an unexpected problem while reading. A lot of the book is about the men in the same unit and their internal disputes and friendships. Some of it was really hard for me to understand because I don't know the order of the military ranks. I have no idea who is higher in rank: a major or a lieutenant, a corporal or a colonel. I didn't know what "enlisted men" meant before checking it up. In other genres of literacy the title doesn't really matter, all you need to know that the character is in military, but when reading war books this is essential information. After pestering Magnus with questions, he soon provided me with a list of the ranks so I could check for myself.

The beginning of the book is quite incoherent: the story jumped around a lot and many new characters were introduced, most of them only by name and military rank. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the book and was already thinking about setting it aside and reading something else. I decided to continue though, because so many people had listed it as one of the greatest books of the century. The writer has a bit of an unusual way of describing things that have happened; he starts telling of one occasion and then after a couple of sentences he jumps to another thing. At first you couldn't really get a grip on anything, but the book will come back to those same occasions again and again, each time bringing a bit more insight and content to them. By the end of the book it will all make sense.

The pile of books keeps on growing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least