Skip to main content

Jules - Knitted Baby Coat.

This is such a cute pattern for a warm little baby jacket. It's knitted flat and in one piece starting from one sleeve and continuing sideways to the other. The hood is knitted last. This is such a quick little project, knitted with fairly thick yarn and big needles in garter stitch, I finished mine in only a few nights.

There is a free pattern called Lino's Coat that I was going to knit at first before noticing the improved (although not free) pattern with more sizes. Lino has only one size "+/- 9/12 months" whereas Jules has sizes ranging from 1 month to a 4 years old. I made the size for the three month olds so that my little baby can use it next autumn.

My yarn weight was heavier than in the instructions: Jules calls for worsted weight yarn, and the one I used was bulky. This is because Lino's coat suggested using bulky yarn and I succeeded not noting the change in yarn weight before I had already started. I still tried to follow the given measurements and even went down a needle size from 5.5mm to 5.0mm to stay within the gauge. That just means the baby will get an extra thick and warm jacket to brave the chilly autumn weathers with.

I made a pompom for the hood using Drops Eskimo Print in #27 rust to add to the autumn feel of the jacket. I also made brown button covers using the same Kate Davies tutorial as the last time. I don't know what yarn it is - it's something I got from my mother from her decades old stash.

Pattern: Jules by Lili Comme Tout 
Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Eskimo Tweed # 75 chili
Needles: 5.0mm


  1. what a gorgeous baby coat, I love the buttons, and the pom pom! That tweedy yarn is perfect.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least