Skip to main content

Challenge accepted.

Wheatless bread buns and pancakes with blueberry yoghurt and organic honey.

A bit over a year ago I was diagnosed with wheat allergy. And barley, and rye and even oats. Since childhood I always thought I had lactose intolerance, and as I also have atopic allergy, no doctor ever took me seriously. In December 2012 I was finally sent to allergy tests for the first time in my life, and the results were a bit shocking.

I had no lactose intolerance or any allergy that has anything to do with milk products altogether. On the other hand they did find quite a lot of other allergies: perfumes, spices, metals such as nickel, chrome and cobalt, some plants and the aforementioned grains.

My first reaction was disbelief and confusion, and a deep sorrow: no more pizza, pasta, cakes, cookies, cupcakes, bread… I’ve always LOVED bread; I used to say that I could live on toast and butter. After a while I decided I won’t let this bring me down, and started to experiment in the kitchen. Some experiments have been more or less catastrophic: cookies that fall apart when touching them so you couldn’t lift them from baking tray, stone-hard pizza bottom, and buns that won’t rise so they were more like pancakes, to mention a few.

But I’ve also had a lot of success. And I thought I would start to share these small glimpses of joy with you. Who could have thought that a baking tray full of perfect bread rolls would bring tears to my eyes and a happy dance around the kitchen? OK, let’s be honest: around the whole apartment!

PS. My overall health has been tremendously better after I cut wheat from my diet. My skin is better, my stomach is not constantly bloated and upset, and I used to have sinusitis 3 to 4 times a year, during the past year and a half, I’ve only suffered it once. I’ve also started to replace my knitting needles with wooden ones and stopped using green eye shadow (it contains chrome oxide pigments) to avoid contact allergy with metals.


Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least