Skip to main content

On Needles: The Mosaic Blanket.


I've been meaning to knit a blanket for the baby for a while now but every time I've settled on a pattern something else comes along and I change my mind. The pattern for this super cute baby blanket was only released on the Purl Bee website last Monday and as soon as I saw it I knew it was the one I wanted to make. Plus it seemed like the perfect opportunity to learn a new technique as I've never done any mosaic knitting before.


I've browsed through different mosaic knitting patterns on Ravelry in the past but always put off trying the technique because I've thought it looked too complicated. To be frank I've been a bit intimidated by it believing it to be much harder than it in reality actually is. I was surprised to notice it doesn't really differ from other slip stitch techniques, for example the three-and-one tweed knitting except that here the slipped stitches form a more complex pattern than just rows and columns. 

The technique is also surprisingly fast to knit. You only knit with one color at a time slipping the stitches you want to be of the contrasting color. This way there are no long floating strands on the wrong side of the work which I think is good so that the little baby fingers won't get caught in the floats. Also the mosaic knitted fabric is less stiff and thick than a fair-isle knitted one. 



So far I've enjoyed this new technique and the pattern is really easy to follow even if you have no previous knowledge of the mosaic technique. I like how they have provided both written and charted instructions. I myself like knitting with charts as I'm a very visual person but as a beginner with this technique I might not have understood the chart without the written row-by-row instructions. However as I got the hang of it it's easier for me to understand what I'm doing next when I have the chart in front of me. Oh, and did I mention this pattern is on the Purl Bee website for free?

I'm also really excited by the "grellow" color scheme I chose for the blanket even if I was at first a bit afraid that there wouldn't be enough contrast between the colors. By the way, how cool is it that a color combo is so much loved that it has it's own Brangelina-esque name blend?

PS. Today I have exactly one month left before my due date. It's starting to get quite exciting but at the same time I'm freaking out a little bit but I guess it's all very natural to feel this way...

Comments

  1. That's really beautiful in the yellow. A friend of mine is making this design in navy and white :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually also had navy and white in my mind as an alternative for this blanket, but had so many skeins of the yellow yarn that I decided to go with it in the end. I really like this pattern and it's always great to see other people's variations of the same pattern as well!

      Delete
  2. So gorgeous, I love your grey and yellow combo! I've been totally smitten with this pattern since i saw it, I'll have to live vicariously through your gorgeous knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies are such a perfect excuse to knit (as if I ever needed one, excuses that is, not babies, haha) so maybe you could knit one for your newcomer as well? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least