Skip to main content

The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.


Here's a few of my favourite things: hamburgers, brownies and chocolate chip cookies. I've been looking for the perfect recipe for each one of the above mentioned for years and even though I have tried at least tens of different recipes that have been promoted as "the best" I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for. 

After my wheat allergy diagnosis a couple years ago I needed to start the whole process again from scratch. Not only did I have to try all my favourite recipes again to see if they still work, but I also had to learn a whole new technique of baking and find the perfect flour combination for each one of the recipes. Too often have I noticed that my once tried-tested-and approved recipes just didn't work when substituting wheat with the likes of rice and corn flour: the dough often becomes either too loose and sticky or hard and brittle to bake in the normal fashion. I've mastered most dishes but often with quite unconventional methods - for example my pizza dough has eggs in it and I spread it out with a spatula and bake it for a couple of minutes before adding the toppings. It tastes great - it's actually one of the best pizza crusts I've ever made or eaten, but real Italian chefs would probably crucify me for it.

I can't even remember how many times my cookies have either been too brittle to lift up, or have melted into one pan sized giant cookie or been more like little puffy cakes. And if the consistency has been right, the flavour hasn't been quite like I wanted. After many disasters in the kitchen trying to bake gluten free, I've learned to find joy even in the smallest successes. But when you hit the jackpot and even your not-allergic-to-wheat-and-thus-able-to-eat-the-real-deal husband tells you your creations are the best chocolate chip cookies he has ever tasted, the feeling is amazing. 


Finally I've found the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. In the past few weeks I've already given it a try three times to see if it really works or if the first time was just a lucky coincidence with all stars aligning perfectly (I've noticed that gluten free baking is often more like stuff of the spirit world and even though you would measure everything closely and do exactly like instructed the result may vary from something looking like naan bread to perfect french style bread rolls with crispy crust to anything in between and you never know what you are going to get when starting out). Let me tell you, the cookies have turned out perfectly every single time!

And did I mention this is a really easy recipe as well? You just mix everything together and leave out the steps where things might go wrong, like whisking together butter and sugar until white and fluffy. I found the recipe on i am a food blog via Pinterest. The original recipe is by Tara O'Brady and published in the book Seven Spoons, a book that I do not have but would very much like to own if the rest of is anything like this cookie recipe.  

I'm not going to copy or re-werite the recipe here since you can easily find the recipe over here:


I followed the recipe very closely but here are the few little modifications I've made to it after trying this recipe a couple of times:

  • I use gluten free flour mix. The one I use is from Semper called Fin Mix. You can check the ingredients here.
  • I use only 7 dl (3 cups) of flour so that the cookies don't turn out too brittle.
  • I have reduced the amount of sugar from the total of 2 cups (4.75 dl) to 1.5 cups (3.5 dl), I think they are sweet enough like that. I also use half granulated sugar and half confectioners' sugar, but I'm not sure if it really makes any difference.
P.S. The cookies go through a few stages of metamorphosis before reaching their final form: first they melt into small puddles before the baking soda kicks in and they start to rise like small cakes. Peering through the oven glass I've been like "oh shit!" at both stages but the in the end the cookies settle into perfect form, so don't start panicking too early and easily :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salut Chéri! Beret Pattern.

Here is the pattern for the berets I've knitted. The name for the beret is from the t-shirt I was wearing when I took the project photos of the first beret for Ravelry. I thought the name suited the beret, since it's quite classical take on the hat that has become the icon of everything French. Happy knitting! Salut Chéri! You need:  yarn: 105-125 m (114 - 137 yards) worsted weight yarn. The sample was knitted with Novita Joki ( 104 m or 114 yard per 50g) needles : 3.5 mm and 4.0 mm (US size 4 and 6) circular needles (40 cm or 16 inches) size 4.0 mm (US size 6) DPNs 6 stitch markers , one of a different color to indicate the beginning of the round Gauge : 10 sts and 16 rounds = 5 cm (2 inches) in straight Stockinette stitch with 4.0 mm needles Cast on 88 sts on 3.5mm circular needle. Join in round, careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round. Knit in straight Stockinette stitch (knit all

Cloud Mittens - the Pattern part 1.

This is so long overdue, but I have now finally managed to write down the pattern for the Cloud mittens. Here it is, my Christmas present to all you guys! Enjoy! CLOUD MITTENS ( Here is the link to the pattern on Ravelry ) You need: 125 m or 135 yards of DK weight yarn (blue sample knit with Novita Wool, 100% wool, 135 m/ 50g) 125 m or 135 yards of sport weight yarn for the lining (blue sample: Garnstudio Drops Baby Alpaca Silk, 70% alpaca, 30% silk, 167 m/ 50 g)  Needles : a set of 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) DPNs or circular needles if you prefer Magic Loop method like me Gauge: 16 stitches and 22 rows = 5 cm (2 inches) To fit an average woman hand Intermediate knitting skills required LEFT MITTEN Cast on 54 stitches loosely on size 2.5 mm double pointed needles or a circular needle if you like knitting with magic loop method like me. I used the long-tail method to cast on. You can place a marker (beginning of the round) if you want, the

Saving A Curling Scarf.

Don't you just hate it when a piece you've spent hours working on doesn't turn out the way you imagined it? It looks like this... ...when it should be more like this. After just a couple of rows into the Trellis scarf I noticed the cast on edge started to roll upwards ever so slightly. As I continued to knit the curling got worse and worse until it seemed to calm down when the scarf measured 10 cm or so from the CO edge. I didn't really stress much about it thinking it would be easily fixed later on and continued to knit further. Halfway through knitting the scarf I faced another problem with the scarf. The CO edge still rolled up and now the sides started to curl inwards. So badly that the scarf lost more than half of it's width. I hate it when it happens. If this was something I designed myself I could maybe live with the mistake, but when it's a pattern that is published I would assume such things would have been fixed. Or at least